Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Potty -Training a 2 yr old

Yesterday before I left for cooking class, I was going to use the bathroom. Dante saw me walking in the hall and ran to catch up with me.

There are no locks on the bathroom door (probably so Dante won't lock himself in), so I can't keep him out. I try to shut the door but he just enters, so I am not about to use the bathroom with him in the room.

Thing is, his parents let him in the bathroom when they go, most likely to make him not feel shy about using the big-person potty.

I am not quite as comfortable, so I eventually opt to wait to use the bathroom.

He grabs the step stool for the sink and carries it in the hallway to the front door and announces he will let me out. I give him my keys and he opens the door, but the step stool is in the way. He doesn't figure out that he has to move, just that it is really difficult to open the door. I pick him up and move him, but he won't let me touch the door handle because he wants to shut it.

After I go into the hallway, I reach to lock it from the outside, but he says he wants to do it. "No, Dante," I explain, "You can't lock it from the outside because then YOU will be locked out." He gets it finally, then nearly shuts the door.

But then he frowns and mumbles something, then I realize he is saying "Beso" (kiss). He has one hand on the doorknob, both feet on the step stool and brows furrowed as he leans in and gives me a big wet kiss on the cheek. Then he finally shuts the door.

___________________________

This morning when we got in the car to drive Dante to school, then Rocio and me to the University, Rocio announces that Dante woke up with a clean diaper and peed in the big people toilet! HURRRAHHHHH! I didn't understand completely what she said, but she either said "This is the first time since January that he's done that" or "I have been trying since January to get him to do this."

This is a big moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment